Monday, July 12, 2004

Funny, There's No Prosecution Freeze

The Washington post reports today that the Federal Bureau of Prisons is instituting a hiring freeze due to budget constraints. The Bureau, which claims to be chronically understaffed in light of the tripling of federal prison population since 1990, may even have to lay some workers off. The population increase - tied to the sentencing guidelines and the abolition of parole - is running head-on into the government's budget crunch.

Wasn't one of the goals of the sentencing guidelines to reduce inmate unrest due to disparity of sentences? Is prison unrest due to overcrowding or under-staffing any better?

2 Comments:

Blogger Matt Hanchey said...

I don't know, Tom. I have my doubts that, when they sat down to debate the guidelines, anyone was really concerned about how the inmates were feeling when they compared sentences.

July 13, 2004 at 11:55 AM  
Blogger job opportunitya said...

Enchanting blog. Your site was off the chain and I
will return! I peep the web for blogs just like this
one.
I will give you access to jump to my illinois law lemon blog.

December 4, 2005 at 4:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home