Saturday, September 11, 2004

Recruiting Academics - The UT Emerging Scholars Program

I was impressed to see the UT has a new program that seeks to attract scholars to Texas. It strikes me as an excellent way to both find, and keep, good academic talent--and it's a good way to show students at the institution that the pursuit of academia is honorable and will be supported. It would be nice, I think, to see Duke adopt a similar program.

I think Duke's stats for students entering academia (at or less than 1% of the typical year's graduating class--or, 1-2 graduates) will not be changing any time soon. I wonder if that's a function of the character of the student body, or of the resources invested by the school in encouraging and preparing students to enter the academic field. I'm not convinced it's a bad thing, but I wonder if such a low percentage keeps Duke from attracting certain students or certain faculty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home