Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Minority Party

I am disappointed and ashamed to have George W. as my president. But I am even more disappointed and ashamed that I had to vote for him. I am disappointed that for twenty-plus years, the national Democratic party has committed itself to maintaining Roe at all costs. In so doing, they have created a generation of division between themselves and the Red states, many of which are dominated by populists that might respond to their economic program. All this for a legally unjustifiable ruling, which, if overturned, would not criminalize abortion anywhere. It would simply allow state and local governments to wrestle with what everyone with wisdom and sincerity recognizes is a problem of profound moral implications.

I hope that is the lesson the Democrats take from this election. They have become a minority party. And they did not do so because the majority of Americans like protracted foreign interventions, budget deficits, world antipathy, or corporate tax-cuts. They are a minority party because Karl Rove got 4 million Evangelical Christians to the polls that were missing in 2000.

I hate being a one-issue voter. I hope Bush appoints five justices so I can stop voting for the court and start voting for president. I hope in the future to vote for Democrats. But until they are comfortable with people of evangelical faith, and especially until they decide to open up their tent to pro-life leaders, I fear I will keep being diappointed and ashamed.