Wednesday, March 09, 2005

If you had it to do over again . . .

Hey gang,
It has been a while and as I am preparing to take my graduating class picture, I thought I would throw a question out to the group: if you had it to do over again, would you choose law school and, if so, would it be Duke?
For my part I would do law school again (I am not completely soured on the legal profession yet, but give me a few years :-)). As far as choosing Duke, while I have never though "man, I wish I was at Harvard/Yale/Virginia, etc." (okay, maybe a little during the clerkship application process), but I am not sure that passing on the University of Florida (I never applied) was such a good choice. The opportunity to establish roots in the legal community of my home state and to be unburdened by loans would have given me interesting career opportunities (most notably, working in a local DA's office as a prosecutor) that I am not seriously considering at this point. I know that those options are still "open," and if I wanted to "bite the bullet" I could do them, but, frankly, the money and prestige of my firm is hard to turn down, especially with this pile of debt.
I have thoroughly enjoyed my experiences here at Duke and I certainly have opportunities I would not have had if I had gone to UF Law (my clerkship, for starters), but I would have to say that the jury is still out on whether choosing Duke over my alma mater was the right decision for me.

Thoughts?

Scott